How did the bedbug spray start this fire? http://communitypress.cincinnati.com/article/AB/20091013/NEWS01/310120008/Apartment+fire+displaces+14
The article says the bedbug spray being used had alcohol in it. Many “ready to use” sprays contain solvent systems which are largely oil based. As you know, oil can be highly flammable and most of the solvent systems in use for a wide range of chemicals contain some form of petroleum distillates. Anything that contains such distillates can be a hazard but there two key ways you can reduce the potential for a problem.
1) NEVER spray anything while smoking! This rule should be followed if you want to spray paint, hairspray, lubricants or anything that was bought in a can, jar or bottle and packaged as “ready to use”. I know there are some products which aren’t flammable packaged this way but the smart thing to do is to just put the cigarettes aside; take your cigarette break after treating!
2) Be extra careful of any “ready to use” spray. We have some bugspray that’s formulated this way but most of what we carry is concentrated. This means you will be mixing an ounce or less of it with a gallon of water. The resulting tank mix is mostly water and quite frankly is better suited for putting out fires rather than fueling one!
On our BEDBUG PRODUCT PAGE, the Pyganic Dust, Cyfluthrin and Gentrol concentrates are among the best products currently available for bedbug control. When used properly, these materials won’t be a fire hazard so stick to one of these and you’ll be safe.