I read your web article on the above topic with interest. I camp in a tent some 50 days per summer and for the first time, I have this year had problems with ground squirrels.
They are eating the 4 corners of my nylon tent, leaving holes as large as 9” by 9”. I have removed all food from my tent, even food that is wrapped in plastic wrap or plastic containers, because they have eaten food so protected in my tent.
I am uncertain as to whether I should buy Coyote Urine or Ropel:
1. Should these products go on the ground around the corners or on the tent itself?
2. Will the tent stink (to humans)?
3. Will either product deteriorate nylon?
4. Since Ropel tastes bad, will the squirrels only go away after they have eaten a portion of my tent?
Please advise so I can make the proper purchase on your web site. Thanks.
I think this is clearly a situation where the ROPEL LIQUID REPELLENT would be better suited.
1) Ropel is designed to be applied onto items which you want to protect. Most times this means stopping some animal or person from chewing on it. In this case, the tent would be directly treated. Urine is for the ground, trees and other inanimate objects or items not important to us outside not close to where we might be staying. If you sprayed the tent with urine, I can’t imagine you’d ever be able to use it again due to the stink!!
2) Ropel is odorless; urine stinks. As stated above, the tent treated with urine would be a problem; with the Ropel you won’t know it’s even been treated.
3) Neither would affect a good quality material most tents are made with these days. To be 100% sure, just wipe a little somewhere not too important, like where they’ve chewed already, and see if there is any reaction. So far we’ve not heard of anything happening when Ropel is used and once it dries, you shouldn’t be able to tell it was ever there to start.
4) Typically animals that get a taste of the Ropel will leave the rest of the item alone. The key here will be to treat a good more than only what they’ve touched so far. I don’t think you need to treat the whole tent but I would do a good square yard lightly, and wipe it with a rag to get the taste evenly distributed.
Leave a Reply