I have an investation of the “Stink Beetle(s)” in my vegetable garden & experience the same problem every year. This year they appear to be worst & my guess is that we’re having a very hot & dry summmer thus far.
My questions for you pertaining to your product “Vegetables Plus Permethrin” are:
* Are my vegetables safe for my family to eat after using your product?
* Is there anyway to treat the soil both in the winter & spring months to kill the Stink Beetle prior to gardening season?
* I’ve in the past mixed a product called Selvin Dust with water & poured around plants to kill other insects when planting but the “Stink Bug” either isn’t affected or they arrive later in the season. Once they show up they kill my plants (Especially Squash plants) within days of my noticing their arrival.
* I’m especially interested in prevention prior to gardening season. Do you have any recommendations? Is it possible to treat the soil? I have friends you live in the same county (Powhatan, Virginia, 23139) and aren’t having problems with them.
I am pretty sure you have stink bugs and not stink beetles for two reasons; one you mention stink bugs in the latter part of your inquiry and two, the true stink beetles only reside in the dessert and only a few states in the southwest. Also, the stinkbug lives and eats in the garden; stink beetles live in the dessert sand. To be 100% sure, check out our STINKBUG CONTROL ARTICLE which features a short video on the brown stinkbug found here on the east coast. There is also a green one that looks much the same but is green instead of brown. If that’s not what you’re seeing, let me know. But for now, I’m assuming that’s the pest you mean and I will answer your questions based on this premise.
Now to answer your questions…
1) Your vegetables will absolutely be safe to consume following any treatment with our VEGETABLES PLUS PERMETHRIN. It has a 7-14 days to harvest label which is based on how long it lasts on treated plants so as long as you wait this time period, there is no risk to you or your family. We also offer some “organic” options that work quite well that are worth considering. They only have a 1 day to harvest since they’re so safe and are approved for organic gardening so they’d be a viable option in case you’re uncomfortable using the Vegetables Plus. The two we know work well is the MULTI INSECT KILLER and the 3 IN ONE SPRAY. Both can be seen on our Organic Site which offers nothing but alternative products which really work.
2) Treating the soil will no doubt help the problem so yes, treating with some BIFEN GRANULES around the home is a good idea. It will take care of most any perimeter invading pest and I like to use it at least twice a year at my house since it works so well. But as you’ll learn in our Stinkbug article, this pest will many times reside on or in the home during the winter and if they’re using your home to hibernate, you’ll need to use some of the other products we have listed in our article to get them where they’re residing. Remember, the house is much warmer than the ground and if your garden is close to the home, I’m sure some are hiding up under the siding of the home and this would be an important place to treat.
3) Sevin Dust is an “old school” product that’s both smelly and not very good at controlling many pests. There is no surprise you experienced what you state above; we don’t even sell it since the newer actives are so much more effective.
4) Again, treating the soil can and should be done. But don’t stop there. If you have a home, shed, garage or some other structure close to the garden, I would be it too needs to be treated to get the over wintering stink bugs. This approach will yield better results in the long run for sure.
Here are direct links to the information and products listed above:
Stinkbug Control Article: http://www.bugspray.com/article/stinkbug.html
Vegetables Plus Perm: http://www.bugspray.com/catalog/products/page1004.html
Multi Insect Killer: http://www.non-toxic-pest-control.com/concentrates/3-in-1-fim-32-oz
Bifen Granules: http://www.bugspray.com/item/453410.html